Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:39:11 -0400
Hi All
I was very interested in the email from Troy Lynn about foods, especially
having read many other emails concerning this food and that and which is
the best and what to feed and so on.....

As you know we have four furkids, all different brands so to speak, two
Marshalls and two Hagens.  The Marshalls were not fed Marshall food at
the pet store of origin but were put directly on to Living World (Hagen
Product) the two Hagens were also fed Living World.

None of my kids are particularly interested in any types of ferret foods.
We have now in stock, Marshall, Hagens Living World, Zupreem (hard to get
in Canada and very expensive, over $32.00 a bag) Eight in One, several
kitten foods i.e. Science Diet, Medi-Cal plus some more.

Oscar our baby (who we rescued as a kit, he had the prolapsed rectum and
bulldog teeth sticking into his upper lip) is the only one that readily
and consistently eats Living World.  He also likes raisins, we just
discovered the other day.  He is now doing fine, his bottom seems to
have resolved itself and the teeth we are watching.

I have had to keep our cats food Purina Cat Chow off the floor or it is
all stolen and either eaten or placed in hidey holes.  I have been told
by several pet stores that Purina is one of the worst foods to feed cats,
however I am 54 years old and have had cats since I was a kid and they
have all been fed this brand and all have been healthy happy and really
old cats, the youngest died at 11 and the three I have now are 12, 12 and
15 years of age.  Don't believe everything retailers tell you about
foods. (either for cats, dogs or ferrets)

I do realize that ferrets are supposed to be carnivores, but I am
positive that somewhere in their genetic background there must be a
predisposition to vegetables and fruits.  All of my kids (and some
friends kids) love grapes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, apples and
other various things that everywhere you read is not supposedly good for
them.

I don't believe they would eat them unless these foods were providing
something that their bodies needed.

Their very favourite it Purina dog food Beneful, it is like manna from
heaven and they beg for it all the time.  I only use it as a treat or
they would never eat any ferret food.

All my kids are healthy (touch wood) and I don't want to cause a flood
of emails about I am not feeding my kids right, but I would like to hear
from other hoomuns and their ferrets eating habits.

From the snowy mid Ontario, (three inches since yesterday)
Jaine and the Orillia Dooks