From:
Amy Sodus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 13:51:28 EDT
>...but the fumes that come off moth balls are somewhat toxic to people

this reminded me of the constant war with my Grandmother.  She had
bronchial athsma (sp?).  We made sure she didn't buy any.  But, she ALWAYS
mangaged to get some.  She probally had somebody else buying them for her.
Her house would stink, she would stink, her clothes would stink, and when
she got her hair cut, they would give her a free hair wash so they wouldn't
have to smell the moth balls.  I would get an achy head, my Mom couldn't
breathe.... The dog she had was always coughing, even the vet said it was
the moth balls and was unsuccessful in making her stop with the things.  I
have the unfortunate memorys of the smells of childhood and my Grandmother
is all mothballs and the smell of major uncleaned clutter all over the
house.  It wasn't just me or my family.  Even other seniors said something
or sometimes moved away at McDonalds.