From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 23:19:16 -0400
Normally being un-neutered in a hob is not the health threat that being
unspayed is in a jill so you probably don't have to 'hurry' a check.
With the whole hob you would only notice a difference in the testicles.
Pet store ferrets are neutered long before the drop into the scrotum
(jeez I'm using big vet like words now) so the vet would have had to go
into the abdomen to get them I'd have to believe.  One problem ferrets
can have is when the testes fails to drop.  If you have a hob with a
dropped testicle you should be able to tell very easily.  If there is a
sack with an egg in it you got a testicle.  If the hob goes into season
look for a deep brown stain all around the lower abdomen.  You should be
able to tell real easily if this is the case.  If there is a retain
testicle that was not surgically removed you could have a future
problem.  I've been told that this is a good candidate for cancer.  You
would get the same stain when the hob goes into rut - the stain is the
perume bath that hobs use to attract jills - the perfume is his urine.
Quite stinky.  In the couple of hobs we've had that retained - the
testicle was easy found just above where it should have been.  I've been
told though that thatisn't always the case.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets