From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 1995 01:08:54 -0400
(First off topic - sound like you and I have similar professions - I'm
currently doing DOD type software that I can't talk about)

Much of what you say is very true.  First of all the 'rules' are not
strictly enforced at most shelters I know about, in our case we haven't
had an 'applicant' that we didn't accept.  This is luck.  I can envision
turning someone down - we've 'not encouraged' some phone callers to come
see 'our' ferrets.  Admittedly they could go elsewhere but the other side
of this is that we are responsible for these particular ferrets.  I would
not knowingly put a ferret into a bad situation.  Someone elses
conscience  or lack of conscience will have to guide them.  I can't
personally save all ferrets but I will save the ones I can personally
help.  I truly underdstand your argument about the 'false negative',
If you 'talked' as well as you 'write' I know I would not 'turn you
down'.  We personally ran into this problem you mention when we wanted to
get a dog from a private 'rescue'.  This particular dog was found
wandering in the country with the obvious scrapes of escaping under a
fence on his back and snout.  We were 'turned down' because we chain out
our dogs as we didn't have a fenced yard.  We were already shopping
around for the right fence for our own German Shepherd, but that wasn't good
enough.  Is the illogic apparent?

Most of the ferrets that have come into our shelter have been from the
category of good owner who is forced to 'abandon' their 'baby'.  Military
bases that are not as understanding as the one Dr. Williams was at.
Military transfer out of the country or to a FFZ.  We have had a few
parents deciding the kid wasn't taking good care of their charge too.

A strong argument for shelter ferrets is the economic one.   $100 to
$200 at a pet store or $50 at the shelter.  We try to price ferrets out
of the disposable range but well within the reach of almost everybody.
Slightly older shelter ferrets are often friendlier than 8 week old
teething kits from a pet store.  We work with temprement problems and
nurse all medical cases before even considering adopting out.  Marshall
kits have about the nicest personalities but they still require some
training.  A shelter ferret should be 'pre-trained'.

We are almost unlimited in how many ferrets we would be willing to take
in. Okay if a couple thousand ferrets were 'turned in' to us we'd call
out to all the other ferret shelters.  If they never get adopted out they
will always be able to stay with us and merge with our tribe.

Thank you for raising the questions though.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets