Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 1994 09:33:00 CDT
In reference to Bob's comments -
Chris you did a great job in responding.  I do have a couple things to
ad.

As far as albinos being freaks - they really aren't.  My favorite are
albinos and through all the years I've had them they are just as loving
and enjoyable as the sables, silvers, butterscotches, mutts, etc.  A true
albino is sometimes difficult to find.  My sable female had 7 albinos and
5 sables.  The father was a butterscotch.  Black eyed whites are not
albinos.  Ferrets are different just as we are so temperment will have a
lot to do with the way they are raised and what they are allowed to get
away with.  Albinos (red eyed whites mostly) are sometimes mistreated
because of the way they look - this doesn't change the heart that is
inside.  I've had several come through FFS that were mistreated and they
have made their home with me as I know they have been through a lot and
I will do my best to keep them happy and content.  They are very loving
and actually crave more attention than my own.  Abbey frequently comes
and stands on my feet looking up at me, waiting ever so patiently for
me to reach down and pick her up to cuddle and kiss her.  She is 6 yrs
old.  Black eyed whites are not anymore tempermental than the others either.

I have close to 10 years with ferrets and I still do not feel I am an expert
as each day it seems I learn something new.

My ferrets and FFS ferrets run our home together, only being caged when
necessary (which is extremely rare) but not everyone is able to allow
their ferrets to run around without getting hurt or out a door so for
these people caging or rooming when not supervising is the alternative.  I
believe we all have different lifestyles and we adapt as well as we can.
As long as the ferrets have plenty of human interaction and are not caged
for long periods of times and they are happy and healthy then it is not
up to me to condemn their lifestyle.

As far as a Yuppie - I don't even know what one is - but if I am one then
I'm proud to be one (I think :-)).  Hugs to all!  tle