From:
KiSta Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:05:20 -0400
Hi All,

A couple of months ago I got in a gorgeous whole male ferret, found running
stray in Jackson, NJ.  I found it odd that he was whole, but really didn't
dwell too much on it.

Yesterday, the Dover township shelter called again.  They had another,
from the same area.  He looks almost IDENTICAL to the first.  Unneutered,
and very large, and very stinky but beautiful.

My question to all of you's is; does ANYONE know ANYTHING about a breeder
in that area?  These ferrets were not starving, or sickly; they're nice big
hobs, in decent shape (if you overlook the flea infestations, ear mites,
and just general dirty-ness).  I am so worried that females are also being
put out, and that someone will find one of the girls, and just assume that
she's spayed, only to have her succumb to aplastic anaemia.  I'm calling
the animal control guy who picked the 2 boys up tomorrow, and seeing if
we can arrange to have some more traps set in the area, and place flyers
in the area as well.

My shelter is packed full.  I have 41 ferrets.  On Thursday I picked up 2
11 week old babies being kept outdoors in the 90 degree plus heat, after
they became "too stinky" to be kept indoors.  Their cage was caked with
feces, and they had no food when I arrived.  I considered that an
emergency, and although we're so full, I went and drove the hour and a
half to get them, since the "person" that purchased them couldn't be
bothered to bring them to me.  The poor things were so hungry, but are
now settling into a life of food, water, air conditioning, treats and
fun, without missing a step.

So, back to my point....if anyone knows ANYTHING, even something you don't
think is that relavant, I'd really, really appreciate hearing about it.  I
promise to keep anything I hear confidential if you don't want to step on
somebodies toes.  I just want to stop this before it costs a ferret his or
her life.  The one that I picked up on Saturday had been in a live trap for
who knows how long, and was SO thirsty when he got here, he drank over 45
ounces of water.  It was almost 100 degrees here on Saturday.

Thanks,

Kim