From:
"Williams, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:28:00 -0500
>Hi Doc Williams!
>I looked all through the info and didn't see any reference to enlarged,
>hardened abdomens.  "Marvy" feels fine.  He is 4 1/2 years old, is blind
>and has recently started looking like he just ate a lot.  His abdoman
>feels kind of hard.  Any ideas?

Dear Kathlyn:

although I am not sure what either "enlarged" (how big?) or "hardened"
(hard all over, or just regional; squishy like a water balloon or hard as
a rock) truly means, there are a number of possible causes.

Of course, it could be normal and he has put on weight due to a lack of
exercise.

It could represent fluid accumulation in the abdomen, which is most
commonly seen with heart disease, but may also be seen with certain types
of tumors.

It may be due to an enlarged spleen - you can often feel the spleen within
the abdomen taking up a lot of room.

It could be a sign of adrenal disease - ferrets with longstanding adrenal
disease tend to assume a pear-shape as a result of redistribution of
weight, loss of muscle mass in the hindlimbs, and an accumulation of fat
in the abdomen.

Best idea - have your vet check it out.  A good physical exam and an X-ray
will probably answer the question.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM