From:
"Schilling, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 08:09:10 -0400
>The poops you mention with slime are usally ECE and almost all pet
>store ferrets have ECE

Just wanted to add my experience here.  Snowball had dark green poops
last year and I was totally freaked out because I thought ECE.  ECE is
not a term that should be used lightly (not saying that Kim was using the
term lightly).  When I took Snowball to the vet I asked him about ECE.  We
did a fecal test and some bloodwork.  The test came back that the "happy"
bacteria in Snow's digestive tract was just in complete overload.  At the
time, we were in the process of moving, had just adopted Snow and her
sister Snickers the prior month, had also just lost our baby fert Maverick
to an untimely death, and then ended up with 8 week old Dusty.  It was
just too much for her to handle.  Ferrets can get stressed out and it
definately effects their poop.  Bandit, my oldest ferret, had to stay
overnight at the Emergency vets this memorial day.  She had nasty slimy
green poop (and I do mean NASTY GREEN) the next day when I picked her up.
We had to go to her regular vet for a check and I took the green poop
along so they could do a fecal.  It was the same situation as above.  Her
poor little system was just in overload with her being stressed and away
from home...it was NOT ECE.  If you see green poop and are concerned then
take it and the fert to the vet for a fecal test.  I do think it is
completely FALSE for one to assume that almost all pet store ferrets have
ECE.  I have gotten 4 of my 6 ferrets from petstores and have never had
one case of ECE.  Let's not throw that term around because it gets alot
of people in a unessecary uproar.  Not trying to flame anyone since ECE
is a very very serious condition but let not assume something so great.
Hope everyone's fuzzies are doing good!

Dooks,
Tracy & the fuzzy 6
Bandit, Slick, Rusty, Snowball, Snickers, Dusty
Marble the cat
Matt the husband
Missing....Frisbee and Maverick