From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 09:52:33 +0100
>From:    "Karen O'keefe." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret math!
>We have a program on TV over here called Pet Rescue it is showing for a few
>weeks, it is about the RSPCA shelters over here and on the end of each
>episode they have a animal on that is looking for a home and well last week
>a ferret came on named Glyndwr and he is from the RSPCA near me and he
>needed a home so I phoned and the rest is history, he is now mine hee hee!!!

I also watch Pet Rescue - I however, tend to take a very cynical view of the
RSPCA.  OK the shelters are basically OK it is just the RSPCA's policy that
needs sorting out!  (I'm being very polite here - the membership of the
RSPCA is at lowest for 20 years, I guess that says something!)  Well, Karen,
they actually came to check you out as being a suitable owner, surprise,
surprise!

The Bolton Branch of the RSPCA have never checked me out - they just kept
expecting me to take all the stray ferrets in this area - they no longer
refer stray ferrets to me as I asked them for help with the veterinary bills
for neutering etc.  My then vet received vouchers for 23 pounds - the total
cost to me was something like 300 pounds.  However the Manchester Branch are
now passing stray ferrets on to me.  They have never checked out the
conditions the ferrets are kept under - a few weeks ago I requested some
financial help, my present vet has told me not to expect a thing!  I
currently owe my vet 112 pounds plus the fee for 37 canine distemper
vaccinations which he did last Wednesday evening between 2145 and 2210.  Not
many vets will call at that time of night and not charge a call out fee.
Tony Regan must be about one of the best vets in the UK.  If the RSPCA don't
get their act together soon and the HQ starts helping with the funding of
the RSPCA Shelters and the other animal shelters they are going to find
themselves in s***.  I have spoken to organisers of other shelters and their
opinion of the RSPCA is about the same as mine.  If there is no mileage, ie
lots of media coverage, in it for them they don't want to know.

Last year I wrote to the Director General of the RSPCA, I sent it recorded
delivery so I know he received it - the ignorant man didn't even reply!
Could be that the RSPCA isn't too keen on ferrets because they are used,
perfectly legally, in the control of wild rabbits.

I feel a bit better now I've said all that.

Sheila Crompton

http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Newsletter Editor of the
National Ferret Welfare Society of the UK
The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of the NFWS