From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 10:42:43 -0400
Here is how we trained Belle to be a lap ferret, and are now starting to
train Caruso, now that he is a year old and settling down a bit.  Last
evening he slept in my lap for 15 minutes, so it seems to be working.

Wait til the fuzzbean has had a good playtime.  Keep him playing a little
longer until he is good and exhausted.  Let him find someplace to go to
sleep, and wait 15-20 minutes to fall into deep sleep.  Pick him up with the
bedding if possible and place in your lap.

The first few times, he will likely wake up and jump down to go back to his
sleeping place, but after a while, he will get used to being asleep in your
lap.  Then try getting him to fall asleep in your lap: After playtime, hold
him in your arms, rocking and crooning like with a baby, til he gets sleepy.
Then you may be able to sit down and he will stay in the lap.  Eventually,
he may seek out a lap on his own.

Also, get to know how your ferret behaves when sleepy.  Belle will get on
the sofa next to us and start digging at a corner of the sofa or on us.  If
we pick her up and cuddle her for a minute, she will settle down and curl up
for a snooze.

Good luck!

Linda, Richard, Joy, Belle and Caruso ("Zzzz")