Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:30:07 -0800
Melissa McDaniels <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have never run a shelter and don't know much about them. The humane
>society here killed over 10,000 (YES- you read that correctly) animals

Sadly, someone has to kill, because of all the reasons that you already
know.  However, as someone who does run a no-kill shelter, I can tell you
that there's no glory in being no-kill.  All that means is that when we
run out of cage space we don't take in anymore animals.  Animal control
agencies do not have that luxury.

Some people become upset (or even irate) when they learn that our
ferret adoption fee is $100 per ferret.  Do they not realize that in
order for any shelter to be able to continue that it takes money?  When
a ferret comes in our door, our immediate out of pocket expense is for
vaccinations (there's been less than 10 ferrets over the past 7 years who
had current vaccinations), lab tests and a microchip.  And of course if
they're not spayed/neutered that is also done immediately.  Then golly
gee, they are quarantined for a minimum of two weeks and we have to feed
them and provide them with litter in their litterboxes and it takes soap
and water to wash their hammocks and other bedding and it would be a
very sad day if we weren't able to provide them with a small treat.  We
currently have around 37 ferrets at the shelter and several others in
foster homes.  Where does the money come from?  Even *IF* a ferret were
adopted on the day he was released from quarantine, we've still spent
over $60 whether he's 3 months old or 6 years old.

But yes, if we were job costing we'd have made $40 bucks on that
particular ferret.  However, at minimum, a fourth of the ferrets we get
in are over 4 years old.  How many of you are willing to adopt a 4 -8
year old ferret?  As a shelter operator, I can answer that....not many.
Even when we can find a foster home for these middle aged and older
ferrets, who do you think pays for the vet bills for the remainder of
their lives?  Uhhhh, I can answer that!  It's the shelter!

Our shelter takes in rabbits, rodents and ferrets.  We spay/neuter all of
our rabbits, guinea pigs and the few ferrets who come in unaltered.  Our
adoption fee does NOT cover the full cost of the spay/neuter fee or other
medical bills for rabbits and guinea pigs.  But even with those medical
expenses our largest vet expense is for our ferrets.  The percent is
far greater because of the adrenal surgeries, the luperon shots, the
insulonoma surgeries, the many different medications that ferrets require
in order to try to pull them through one illness after another.  (Our
prey animals rarely have vet bills after their spay/neuter surgery.)

If adopting through a non-profit shelter is too expensive then you can
always find "free to a good home" ads in your local papers.  Whether it's
cats, bunnies or ferrets you can always find a "free" one.

If the shelters policies are offensive then why not volunteer at that
shelter to try to help the animals?  You might even be able to make a
change from within or you might discover just how much they ARE doing
with limited funds. :-)

Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org