From:
JT Speikn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:03:46 -0800
>From:    The Knight of Cups <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Haiku
>I remember reading somewhere that during the height of Haiku's popularity
>in Japan, it was fasionable to include a reference to the season, and to
>sort of paint an emotion with words.

That's true, and the use of seasons in Haiku was NOT JUST employed during
the height of its popularity.  IT IS a characteristic of Haiku.
Traditionally, haiku are elegant, soft, and even painful in a beautiful
way.  Incorporating seasons in poems and Haikus (also in Tanka) is very
"Japanese." I think many ferret haikus are cute, but it definitely doesn't
portray the traditional Haiku qualities.  I guess the loss of beauty is in
the language itself - English and Japanese are too different in expressive
styles and vocabulary.  I'd like to see someone come up with a haiku that
reflects upon the true traditional qualities of haiku.

>The Kanji for 'government' is composed of that which means 'house,' and
>that which means 'buttocks.' Draw your own conclusions.  --Okaminari

I don't understand.  I read, write, and speak Japanese fluently and I
definitely read and write Kanji.  If you're going to post something like
this, you should be accurate.

Rena

JT & Rena
Trina the unpredictable lapferret
Silver the weiner dooker getting-there lapferret