From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:24:06 -0500
Portion of the text from Pet Product News, Jan 96, :

Several retailers and hobbyists feel the Canadian market is about two or
three years behind the U.S.  market.  Dave Caughlin, an animal wrangler for
films in the states and Canada, said, "Ferrets are popular but are seen less
frequently.  In a way, ferrets demand a lot of attention, especially when
they're out of their cages.  They can move faster than most new owners can
believe.  After a couple of months, reality sets in."

Another aspect of reality was rought to light by Wido Lukosius of Revenir
Resource Recovery: "We sell pet products, and a lot of our products are
deodorants.  We make a very popular ferret shampoo."

Few Exotic mammals end up at a veterinarian's office.  Micheal Illian,
veterinary assistant at Alberta veterinary Services in Ontario, said that
only rarely do small mammals either need or merit veterinary care.  "We see
a few degus and chinchillas a year and we neuter a few guinea pigs, ferrets
and rabbits," he said.  "There really isn't much call for our services.  We
usually are used only for boarding, neutering, euthanasia and eye trauma."

Pam speaking - it sounds to me like the Canadians online here have a lot of
work ahead of them in educating pet shops and vets on ferrets.  If anyone
wants to receive free literature to copy and pass out in the Great White
North, just send an e-mail to STAR* and I'll tell you what I've got and how
to get it.

Pam Grant / STAR* Ferrets