From:
Kurt Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:23:49 -0500
>From:    Kim Latas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Newbie owner wonders~?
>These Ferret critters seem to have such an "intense" metabolism that I can't
>see how they could remain healthy without a proper food designed just for
>them!  Am I missing something here?

No, it doesn't make sense and you aren't missing a thing, but since there
are no laws against feeding animals the wrong food there is nothing we can
do about it.  Ferrets can 'live' on cat food just as you or I could 'live'
on bird seed.  We would survive, but how healthy would we be?  Now, having
said that I must contradict myself.  Ferrets require a food of no less than
32% protien and 18% fat.  It is important to consider *where* the fat and
protein is coming from.  I would prefer to feed my ferrets Bil-Jac kitten
food, wich contains sufficient fat and protein, because I know that the
protein and fat are coming from, animals.  And it is cheaper than most
ferret chows.  But my fiancee, the primary ferret caregiver, wants them to
have ferret food.  It all depends on how you want to treat your ferrets and
how healthy you want them to be.