From:
Ferretnews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 21:18:12 EDT
Hello Everyone,

Today I spoke with Dr. Mark Starr, one of the Public Health Veterinarians at
the California Department of Health Services, and was informed that changes
to the California Rabies Compendium which incorporate a quarantine for
ferrets involved in bite situations are now in the review process with the
head of the California Department of Health Services.  What this means is
that a new protocol for ferrets has been proposed after an internal review
of the recommendations of the NASPH, and these changes should be formally
adopted by the state within the next few weeks (hopefuly).  In the meantime,
if your ferret is involved in a bite circumstance which is reported to the
health department, it is imperative that the local authorities know the
latest information, especially if they are proposing to kill and test your
pet.  Local health officials should be notified to contact the State Health
Department in Sacramento regarding these new recommendations YOU MAY SAVE
YOUR FERRET'S LIFE WITH THIS INFORMATION.  The telephone number for local
officials to call in Sacramento is (916)327-0332.

If you are uncomfortable speaking with the authorities on this matter, don't
hesitate to call me at (650) 851-3750.  Be sure to leave the details of the
incident, your name and telephone number, and the name and telephone number
of the local official involved with the bite and I'll see if I can help.

Of course, the best advice I can give you all is to not let anyone who is
not a part of your close circle of family and friends interact with your
ferret, whether your ferret nips or not.  As we all know from the KODO
incident, even a scratch can send some folks into hysterics where ferrets
are concerned.  It is also my recommendation to vaccinate your ferret
against rabies each year.  Ask your veterinarian to use IMRAB III.  If
your veterinarian says he or she can't legally vaccinate your ferret in
California that simply is not true.  They can, and they do.  Call if you
need a new veterinarian, or visit the Ferrets Anonymous website at
http://www.caoutlaws.com for a list of vets that treat ferrets.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!