From:
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 1997 08:40:23 -0700
>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MORE MF CHOICES:
>A) Closed doors won't work.

Well they have legitimate reasons for this.  With the ALF invading mink
ranches and ultimately killing mink and ferrets Marshall has good reasons to
be worried.  Can't fault them for this.  They also have publicaly stated
that ECE is a reason they don't open to the public.  This too is legitimate.

>B) We will be happy to assist in any way in resolving these issues.

Then we agree.

>Marshall has apparently enjoyed a free lunch for some time.

Hardly.  When the vet most singly responsible for positive changes left
under fear of death threats, it can hardly be considered a free ride.  "We"
actually exist because of MF more than they exist because of us.  MF and
Path Valley were the main suppliers of the ferret market and along with Dr.
Wendy Winsted actually created it.  We're riding their coattails.

Approaching them with questions about the number of ferrets they kill is
charging them.  Approaching them (as has been done and is getting through to
them) with instead questions of what we can do to help them with their
problem of surplus old ferrets is fine and working.

Approaching them with demands that they figure out why their ferrets are
defective is a charge.  Approaching them with a desire to have them help us
figure out why our (not theirs but ours) ferrets get adrenal cancers is more
likely to work.  Many people feel their is environmental aspects to adrenal
tumors so its is us that might be accountable.

>From:    "M. Max" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ID tatoos, ferrets and research

So is their a doctoral student that needs a really neat research project?
Colleges use these students as "slave" labor so could they end up filling
this role?

>Most of his (or her) articles appear to be case studies of diseases in
>ferrets rather than experimental studies that cause harm to ferrets -
>so nobody go off half cocked blaming him for the death of ferrets.

He, its James.  Too late though we've already had the radical fringe of the
ferret world accusing him of vivisections...

He editted the first major medical reference on the ferret.  Believe there
might be an update soon.

Your ideas on uniquely identifying each ferret aren't wrong but there might
be more systematic work than lumping them to some extent.

The more uniquely we try to identify them the larger the resultant datebase
and thus the task of tracking.  A major need is to make the marking low
enough in cost to make it attractive to MF.  If too much work is required on
their part then we price them out.  If a low enough cost is added then they
are more likely to help.

>From:    "David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Weekend musings and other mad mind wanderings....
>Recently there's been a lot of suggestions that stress can cause medical
>problems in humans and I was wondering if stress might be a significant
>factor in this case.

That is our belief.  Not just us either.

A problem though with urban legends is that they are negative.  Usually
prejudicial against some group that is different.  PLus since you actually
said something that appears true (ferrets can relieve stress and should
therefore be healthy) it can;t be an urban legend.  Its true.

>From:    Lori Sies <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: WARNING WOOD STOVE PELLETS - Use Luv My Kitty Kat Litter Instead

I strongly doubt there is a difference in digestibility between pine and
hardwood pellets.  Ferrets are carnivores.  They can't digest either.
Sounds more like a clumsy advert than a health warning.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]