From:
Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 07:24:17 -0500
Beth Stonefield asked what questions should she ask a breeder before getting
a ferret.  Here are some ideas:

1) Are they vaccinated for both distemper and rabies?  Many breeders will
give their own distempers, but rabies must be given by a veterinarian.  Ask
for proof of both.  If they give their own distempers, ask to see dates for
many different ferrets.  If they can't show good record keeping, assume
they've had no vaccines and start from scratch.

2) Are they neutered/spayed?  If yes, at what age do they do this?  Who is
their vet?  Ask the vet if they keep up on vaccinations and medical care.

3) Does the breeder play with their ferrets?  Many breeders simply breed to
breed, all ferrets should receive play time and love.

4) Ask to see both parents.  If they seem happy and healthy, the odds are
better you're baby will be.

5) Does the breeder offer any kind of guarantee?  If so, to what extent?
Are they willing to work with you if this ferret doesn't work out?

6) Has the ferretry been exposed to ECE? Any other diseases?

7) Does the ferret you're buying get along well with other ferrets?

8) How long have they been breeding?  Do they have pet ferrets of their own?
How long did they have pet ferrets before deciding to breed?  If they bought
ferrets just to breed, maybe they are in it "just for the money".

9) Are they available for after-sale support?  Ready and willing to take
phone calls and answer questions?

10) Does the breeder offer pedigrees? One way to see if a breeder is keeping
adequate breeding records, is to ask to see a few different pedigrees (point
to a specific ferret(s) for this)

Some things to look for:

1) Does the breeder seem to genuinely care for their ferrets?  Can he/she
tell you something about the personalities of the prospective new member of
the family as well as both parents?

2) Is the ferretry clean? Clean food/water available?

3) Does the breeder take a hard sell approach or do they talk to you to see
what type of ferret might be best for you?

4) Most of all, do you feel comfortable buying from this breeder?  If you
don't, there is probably a reason.  Listen to your instincts.

Given more time, I'm sure I could write pages on what to ask and look for,
but BIG probably wouldn't let me post it :) Just keep these basics in mind
and you should do fine.  Most breeders are very reputable, just make sure
YOU think they are reputable also.

Feel free to email me privately if you have more concerns.

Happy ferret hunting! :)

Tracy Tunnison
Mid-Michigan Ferrets and Rescue
"Where the Fun Starts!"