From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1993 10:02:11 -0500
Hey, folks --

I've noticed the messages lately about club listings, etc., not being
up-to-date.  There's only one problem :

Updating the STAR*Ferret database is done by Pam Grant, national
coordinator of STAR (Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets).
Unfortunately, she is not a subscriber to the FML at this time.  To ensure
that this national master list is kept updated, corrections or additions
should be forwarded to Pam -- the address is: STAR*Ferrets, P.O. Box 1714,
Springfield, VA 22151-0714.  (You could also try sending them to Pam at
[log in to unmask], but she was on the verge of cancelling her GEnie
membership, last I heard.)

I'm happy to forward updates to her as well, having been in touch with her
periodically for just that reason.  Just send me an e-mail message and ask
me to pass it on to Pam.

PLEASE remember that the ferret database file on the listserver is an
official list from STAR.  If you think about it a minute, it makes sense:
otherwise we have lists proliferating all over the place, and no one is
keeping a central list.  How else do we know whose list is most current?

So, anyway, the important thing to keep in mind is to keep Pam Grant updated.

For anyone who's new to the list since October, here's the scoop on the
STAR*Ferret list:

  -----------------------------------
>Date:   Mon, 11 Oct 1993 12:34:30 -0400
>From:   Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      STAR's ferret database listing available

>Pam Grant, of S.T.A.R*Ferrets (Shelters That Adopt and Rescue Ferrets)
>has a rather extensive list of ferret organizations, breeders, contact
>people, vendors of ferret-related supplies and ferret-friendly
>veterinarians.  She has compiled this list over the years and some time
>ago gave us permission to make the list available to the FML readers.

>I've been dragging my feet a bit on this one.  For one, the list needed
>some reformatting - the list Pam sent was basically an unformatted dump
>of a database.  For another, the list, fantastic as it is, also has some
>obvious omissions, such as the Animal Medical Center in NYC.  My plan was
>to reformat the list and to consolidate the tidbits I've been collecting
>and add them to a specially denoted section at the end.  Yeah... well...,
>that was many months ago.  Too many.

>Meanwhile, Katie Fritz and Nancy Hartman each sent me a copy of the
>database which they had independently reformatted.  Nancy made some
>corrections which were forwarded on, but Katie's list was newer, so I've
>used hers.  I still plan to add info to the list, but probably the way to
>do that is to forward stuff to Pam in bits and pieces and have her
>incorporate it into her master list.

>So, with no obstacle but laziness remaining, I have finally gotten around
>to storing this great list on the archives.  If you would like to receive
>a copy via e-mail, send the following one line in mail to
>[log in to unmask] : GET FERRET DATABASE

>You can also "subscribe" to the database, so that any time it is updated
>you will automatically receive a copy.  To do this, send the following
>line to the same address:

>AFD ADD FERRET DATABASE

>Your request will be acknowledged with a piece of mail about you being
>able to add a password for your subscription... you can safely ignore
>this.

>Pam's database is updated every month or two and she will continue to
>send us updates.  Right now it's about 2800 lines, containing a total of
>about 41,000 characters.

>Bill

There's another alternative as well -- you can join STAR*Ferrets for $10 a
year, and get updates direct from Pam.  You don't have to be a shelter to
join.  I might also add that the most recent update DOES have the Animal
Medical Center on it -- I am in the process of retyping this list to
forward to Bill for the listserver.

Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153