From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1993 16:22:04 -0500
Greetings, all!

I now have something in common with Bandit -- having had laparoscopic
surgery on March 9 (followup to an incomplete miscarriage in January), the
first anniversary of Bandit's surgery for biopsies and splenectomy at the
Animal Medical Center.  For him, major surgery; for me, (supposedly) minor
surgery, but it feels major to me!  all things considered, I think his
recovery was quicker. :-) You know how surgeons sometimes engage you in
small talk to try to relax you as you sink into anesthetic oblivion?
Well, there I was drifting away, talking about my ferrets!  I woke up to
hear someone say, "Did you know she has FIVE ferrets?" Interesting what
you think about at such times...

Nancy Hartman: to repeat what I said in an earlier post, the information
on insulinoma that I have access to -- a handout from the AMC -- indicates
that it is considered highly treatable.  I posted that info on the FML
about a year ago, if you still have that issue, and I will try to dig it
out for you otherwise.  STAY CALM.  We'll get you through this!

Re: silvermitt ferrets and deafness.  Our Charlie is a roan silvermitt and
doesn't have any hearing problems that we're aware of, but he IS
developing cataracts and going blind.  I wonder if silvermitts in general
are more prone to such things?  Is it likely that they are *more* inbred
than other ferrets, in order to develop their spectacular markings and
coloring, and thus more prone to genetic weaknesses such as deafness and
blindness?

[Possible.  Toby was a Silver Mitt, and had an extra set of scent glands.
He died of Lymphosarcoma leading to a ruptured spleen.  Musta been
almost instantaneous.]

Today's Bandit story:  he climbed up on the dining room table recently and
munched down on a fortune cookie left over from a take-out Chinese feast.
Here's his fortune: "You will pass a difficult test that will make you
happier."  We got a big laugh out of that.  (For those of you coming in
late, Bandit has been undergoing chemotherapy for lymphosarcoma for nearly
a year, and has been doing very well.)

GOOD LUCK AT THE EXPO, CHERE!

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153