Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:09:40 EST
My life so often seems measured in minutes.  And so it was, again, this
morning, as we lined up to watch:The Juggler.

He was not there at all last night.  Three times I awoke, tapped on the
glass, and called his name.  Usually, he comes to the window and tells me
through his actions what he wants.  Stay out?  Come in?  Come in and eat?

But he did not come all night, last night.  So, I pulled the drapes open,
and heaved the aging sliding glass door, and peered out once more into
crisp blackness, softly calling his name.

By the time I had scrubbed up and was dressed, I was ready to look once
again for my wayward friend.  I headed for the porch.  The door still open
to suck in fresh air for all inhabitants, and a pot of boiling water for
humidity bubbled on the stove: I came upon a crowd of ferrets lining the
floor in a straight line--all against the meshed door.

Some scritching and scratching accompanied a long row of ferrets pressed
up against screen--appearing to be intently observing some activity.  They
did not bounce around in the chill air as they usually do-leaping, peeing,
dooking.  No.  I scurried up to see what catastrophy had befallen.  What
ferret was loose?  Was the cat lying there, on the porch, injured?
Bleeding?

But there-in the still blackness of the hour, was the silhouette of my
cat--standing like a man--JUGGLING!!  Back and forth ,he batted an object
between his paws-never catching or resting--but juggling over head.
Standing on his rear two legs.  Then he was on his back-juggling back and
forth.  I had never seen such a show.  I saw such frisky delight in the
outlined movements.  What a rare treat.  Here was my cat-he was safe, and
happy, and...and talented!

And then, in the dim morning light, I made out his prop.  The show had
to end.  The cat was beckoned in.  He left the mouse outside next to the
screen, and jaunted in--a movie star with the crowd.  Much butt sniffing
and soft nosing and nuzzling as he strolled passed his admirers.  No
attacks.  No growls.  No nips.  My acrobatic cat had entertained the
crowd, and appreciation was shown all around.

A favorite cat food and extra ferret soup for all.  The gluttons fell upon
their repast, and I began to prepare to leave the party.

And so it was that I slid and locked the heavy old glass door, and looked
out upon the dim morning light before closing the drapes..  That special
minute of life that held us all spell bound had passed- but not forgotten.
I saw the old feral cat as I never imagined him.  And the ferrets actually
acted as though they were watching a show.  Cat became a fellow to warm up
to-not to nip.  Amazing.

And the tiny brown mouse?  I looked down, realizing I would have to remove
his little body before my cat went out again.  But you know what???

There was nothing there.

Lisette