From:
"Douglas W. Strebel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 12:29:32 -0500
Hello, everyone!!!

I am the proud mama of five little furrballs (aka "my little rodentas"-yes,
I know ferrets have no relation to rodents.).  Over a year ago, my second
eldest child, Meisha, lost a lot of weight and fur on her tail and backside.
She had all the signs of cushings disease.  Well, I didn't know anything
about Cushings at that time and my eldest, Domi, went through a two month
molting period herself.  It wasn't until the "molting" went into three and
four months that I became extremely concerned.

A month before her scheduled ultra sound, I changed their food from 9-in-One
ferret food to Sheppard and Greene, because I liked the idea this was a more
"vegetarian" type diet.  Not only did my kids prefer the taste of this food
over the 8-in-One, but Meisha's fur grew back and she gained weight.  She no
longer resembles the naked skeleton she did back in September.

My Vet.  mentioned that some ferret foods have added hormones or other
additives which cause allergic type reactions in our babies.  Since that
time, I have only tried changing foods once because a shelter in my area
suggested this cheaper but very healthy brand called Mizzori (or however it
is spelt; it sound like Missouri).  My ferrets refused to eat it.  They dug
out their Sheppard and Greene and left the Mizzori to rot, so to speak.

I highly recommend Sheppard and Greene.  It is a little pricey (PetSmart in
Texas sells the food for about $6.00 per 3 pounds), but it is a healthy food
which ferrets like-at least mine do.  And please, do not feed your kids
kitten or cat food.  I know this is a lot cheaper, but the nutritional
values differ from ferret food.  Please find something which is no less than
31% fat.

Now my question, does anyone in the Houston area know where I can find a
large ferret (no smaller than 3 pounds)?  If you do, please contact me via

Since there are three other people using this same address, and I will most
likely get into trouble for getting a sixth ferret (nobody knows about the
fifth), please type on the subject line "private for lise".

Thank you-Lise
(p.s., I also emailed the food information to Pam Greene at Ferret Central)