From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:53:08 EDT
It has come to my attention that a person or persons have decided that even
though our policy does not allow the sale or adoption kits or ferrets at
Ferret Fun '98 in Mercerville, NJ on July 18, that they plan on doing so
anyway, out of their car in the parking lot.

First of all, I want to point out how dangerous this is to the health of any
animal.  It will be July, and a ferret could suffer heatstroke and permanent
brain damage or death in a matter of minutes locked in a hot car.  Secondly,
the state of NJ requires anyone who sells a ferret to possess a permit
specifically allowing the sale of ferrets.  Sale of a ferret without this
permit will subject the seller to a fine of $500 for each offense.

The parking lot will be patrolled by show staff, and Fish and Game will be
making periodic rounds of the parking lot and the general vicinity.  They
are taking this very, very seriously, and have vowed to fully prosecute
any individual that is found to be breaking the law.  We are working very
closely with Fish and Game on this matter, and will have a zero tolerence
policy towards it.

-Anne