Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:46:59 EDT
I just walked in to the bedroom to put a few of the guys in a cage.  My
oldest shelter ferret -Cheyenne- is humping my sleepy alpha ferret.
Cheyenne was 6 when I took him home 2 and a half years ago.  He had just
had adrenal surgery and was bald except for his feet and head.

Cheyenne has been a hard biter for almost two years.  I just stopped
applying band-aides daily about 6 months ago.  Cheyenne would play, leap,
run, jump on my arm or hand and bite hard and shake.  Then he would leap
away, leaving me bleeding.  It was not possible to catch him to train him
not to do this, because

1. I was bleeding and the blood was about to go on the carpet and my
   clothes.
2. If I let the blood just fall and tried to grab him, he would bite me
   again.  I could not catch the stinker.

I just learned to be cautious as to where he was, and where my arm was.
Eventually, he settled down.  He just recently started to get mouthy again.
He bit my foot early this morning.  But he has not broken skin.

I mention all of this in case it means anything concerning his humping
Wolf.  As Cheyenne is 8 1/2 years old, if he still has part of his male
parts inside him, is it too late for surgery?  Do you think this is what
is wrong?

We have our appointments to see the vet for shots for all who do not have
cancer in two weeks.  Can I wait that long?  Can Cheyenne just keep doing
this?

Mary never thought that he would live this long.  I took him home right
before Christmas.  It was one of the most rewarding things that I have ever
done.  His joy at having a home and ferrets that bathe him, play with him,
and cuddle him is obvious each and every day.  The leaps and dooking noises
coming from this once listless, docile, scarred and bald string bean still
bring tears to my eyes.

Thank you
Lisette