From:
Kathy Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:08:55 -0400
With regard to two failed USDA inspections, and letters sent to the
USDA from the Alexander County Animal Control, there are some other
"facts" to consider. Firstly, I do not require and have not applied for
a USDA license, therefore, I do not require an inspection.

The failed "inspection" that occurred on Dec. 17, 2007 was interesting
in that no one was at the building, and it was locked, and I knew
nothing about it until after the fact. So how did that happen???
Secondly, The Friday, Dec. 21, 2007 inspection was one that I was there
getting ready for Christmas and working hard, and was interrupted by
Animal Control and the USDA insisting that I needed to be inspected
since I sold to pet stores. I told them that I did not fall into that
category, but they stayed four hours and endangered my ferrets poking
at them, even after being told to leave. The county vet for Animal
Control that orchestrated this and sent letters to the USDA was called
into the county manager's office, then seemed to have disappeared with
no forwarding address in January of '08, and left the state. At the
time I called the county manager's office to complain, the receptionist
said "Let me guess, you are going to complain about animal control,
too." I will have to admit that surprised me, but should not have. The
county manager heard my complaint, talked to the County Attorney about
the mess with me and others, then the County Attorney put a gag order
on Animal Control not to talk to me or contact me. This was in 2007,
and the gag order is still in effect. I figured that was the end of it,
so I did not pursue it further. Alexander County Animal Control and the
USDA have not contacted me since Dec. 21, 2007, except that USDA sent
me a letter saying that I did not require a licensing, and the vet at
Animal Control sent a nasty and threatening letter to me and a copy
to the USDA saying she was going to follow up with me in March on a
certain date. No one from Animal Control ever showed up, but "wait--
everyone read that letter!" Were my rights violated? The USDA had no
reason to file the paperwork because I did not need an inspection.
The USDA inspector (not a vet) was new at her job. Her only previous
contact with a ferret, from what she hesitantly said when I asked her,
was "I have seen one in a pet store." For the record, my vet got in his
car and drove two hours to the farm on Saturday, Dec. 22nd when he was
really busy at his hospital, he dropped everything and did a thorough
inspection of the farm and every ferret, and found nothing of concern.
I had a photographer go in on the 22nd and take photos of every ferret
and every cage to confirm that everything was sanitary and the ferrets
were comfortable and cared for. Nothing was moved or changed before
they got there. Last week I left multiple phone messages for the USDA
inspector who came out in Dec. of '07, and she has not returned my
calls. I contacted her supervisor and left multiple messages, and
she has not returned my calls. I suspect I can get this cleared up
eventually, but I also suspect that I will see it online for all
eternity because it is just one of those "facts" that motivated minds
love to refer to and direct others to.

These are issues that really should not have been dredged up, but some
people love to point the finger and say "Aha!" "Look at this!" Everyone
who raises ferrets has occasional run-ins with Animal Control, Zoning,
USDA, neighbors, the Health Department, and others, and if they
haven't, their day is coming. Certain people, in my opinion, would do
well to move to Iran where they can have the pleasure of participating
in public stonings, or at least stirring people up so that they will
pick up the rocks.

Not afraid to sign my name--
Kathy Jordan
Qualified Mental Health Professional