From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 09:28:00 EDT
Evaporative Cooling - This works well, but only when the humidity is low.
Most areas have high humidity with the heat.  Otherwise we wouldn't get
that clammy feel we get with our own natural cooling.  Check a wet bulb and
dry bulb thermometer to see how little the difference can be.   It's not a
coincidence that swamp coolers are limited to the desert Southwest (or the
Outback) while the rest of us depend on refrigerant cooling.  The frozen
items are the more reliable way for your ferret to chill.

Neutering and Adrenals - The theory sounds plausible, but it doesn't seem as
though the evidence supports it.  <In a recent study of 100 adrenal tumors
at the AFIP, we have a 30% incidence in intact ferrets.  Unfortunately,
because most of the ferrets that are presented for surgery (i.e.  well taken
care of) are pet ferrets that have been neutered, this skews the results.>
If I have interpreted Dr.  Williams's statement properly, 30 of 100 adrenal
tumors at AFIP were from whole ferrets.  A small sample, but whole ferrets
seem over represented.  I don't get the impression that whole ferrets make
up anywhere near 30% of the US ferret population.  The skewing effect
mentioned (more neuters) would make this conclusion even stronger.  The
other problem is that dogs and cats have many young neuters, but not the
same syndrome.  From the usual perspective the world seems flat and the sun
appears to move about the earth.  We can't rely only on personal experience
to find the truth.

Cotton Crunchers - Maybe Stuff only chews cotton so sweaters of wool or
synthetics might work as safe bedding.  The looser weave may also help by
yielding rather than resisting those ripping jaws.

Commercials on CBS - Judi Lunn  and others have done a good job of
collecting the sponsors.  However, networks provide time to the local
stations to run their own commercials.  Some of the sponsors had a local
audience only.  For example, we had a Volvo spot in our area and I haven't
seen that mentioned in the other lists.  It may be more effective to write
to the national product sponsors only.  Some of the NY sponsors may be
delighted that people in CO are writing to them about their commercials.  In
the ad world, the fact that something is noticed is often more important
than a favorable reception.  BTW  Judi, how did Cashew make out?

BFFs - Jim Cristea, I tip my hat to you.  It takes a good person to keep an
open mind, view new information without bias, and change such a strong
public stance.  The fact that you now reflect my own feelings also plays a
part.  :-)   Anyone with nothing better to do than repeatedly spending the
wee hours to inflict us with vacuous spamograms might want to get a life
rather than save BFF lives.  The right thing is being done now.  Carolyn has
shown she can't control her personal involvement to follow proper procedure,
why not again?   How will the funding to run this center be ensured for the
long run?  Don't bother being like the government by answering all the
questions and basing responses on logic, that is only worthy of scorn.
   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \
It isn't what you don't know that will get you, it's what you think you know
that ain't so that will. (I forget who said this)