From:
"Endel H. Randoja" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 11:43:18 -0600
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your responses to my "what are ferrets like as pets"
post.  Your letters have been very informative, and have caused me to
reconsider getting a ferret as a new member of our family.  I'm afraid my
wife was using the story of one bad apple to scare her off from getting a
ferret.  From your posts, I would have to guess this was a case of someone
not realizing what they were doing, and getting a young intact male as a
pet; and then not handling him at all.

But now that I'm back on the subject of sexes; and yes I realize that every
animal is an individual, but I'm looking for generalizations here; what are
the differences between male and female behavior?  So far I'm know that
males grow larger (2-5 lbs.. for an altered male Vs 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lb. for
a female), and some say that a males urine is a little more pungent than a
females, and that they have slightly more oil in their coats causing them to
be a little more "musky" than a female.

What I would like to know, is one sex a little (or a lot) more aggressive,
outgoing, and stand offish than the other?  Are you more likely to get a
ferret that enjoys cuddling and being held with one sex over the other?  Are
there greater health concerns with one over the other (altered animals only)?

And next for a few really loaded questions (this may cause the fur to fly):

 What is the best cage to but for two ferrets (so far I've been looking at
the Ferret Playpen Model 140  36" x 24" x 48"  from Midwest Homes for pets-
it touted as being "the largest ferret home available on the market!")?

What is the best food for Ferrets (also breaking it down to developmental
stages)?

What is the best litter & and litter box?

And where is the best and closest place to purchase a pet ferret; we live
in Lincoln, NE?

And what are the best grooming products?

And what are the most indispensable toys, sleeping bags/hammocks, and other
accessories for ferrets?

I look forward to you replies, and insights.  Thanks so much.

Endel H. Randoja
http://www.unl.edu/mama/classroom/97s/randoja/randoja.class.html