Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your responses to my "what are ferrets like as pets"
post.  Your letters have been very informative, and have caused me to
reconsider getting a ferret as a new member of our family.  I'm afraid my
wife was using the story of one bad apple to scare her off from getting a
ferret.  From your posts, I would have to guess this was a case of someone
not realizing what they were doing, and getting a young intact male as a
pet; and then not handling him at all.

But now that I'm back on the subject of sexes; and yes I realize that every
animal is an individual, but I'm looking for generalizations here; what are
the differences between male and female behavior?  So far I'm know that
males grow larger (2-5 lbs.. for an altered male Vs 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 lb. for
a female), and some say that a males urine is a little more pungent than a
females, and that they have slightly more oil in their coats causing them to
be a little more "musky" than a female.

What I would like to know, is one sex a little (or a lot) more aggressive,
outgoing, and stand offish than the other?  Are you more likely to get a
ferret that enjoys cuddling and being held with one sex over the other?  Are
there greater health concerns with one over the other (altered animals only)?

And next for a few really loaded questions (this may cause the fur to fly):

 What is the best cage to but for two ferrets (so far I've been looking at
the Ferret Playpen Model 140  36" x 24" x 48"  from Midwest Homes for pets-
it touted as being "the largest ferret home available on the market!")?

What is the best food for Ferrets (also breaking it down to developmental
stages)?

What is the best litter & and litter box?

And where is the best and closest place to purchase a pet ferret; we live
in Lincoln, NE?

And what are the best grooming products?

And what are the most indispensable toys, sleeping bags/hammocks, and other
accessories for ferrets?

I look forward to you replies, and insights.  Thanks so much.

Endel H. Randoja
http://www.unl.edu/mama/classroom/97s/randoja/randoja.class.html
[Posted in FML issue 2167]