From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:43:51 -0400
I really commend the two most recent posts on Marshall issues.  Both
Katharine Long and Bill Killian offer some sound input into the issues faced
and the complexity of the solutions possible.  Katharine Long's as a whole,
appears to present the logical argument of "the ends justify the means".

This is not to say this was intentional.  However, it appears Katharine's
argument suggests we should be thankful for very docile and domestic ferrets
and disregard any practices that brought them to us.  Now this it how it
appears to me, and please correct me if I am wrong by clarifying your points
regarding thankfulness for MF if you can.  Let me apologize before hand if
this is a misunderstanding.  I would prefer to be wrong on this one.  As I
said earlier, I am very pleased to see Bill Killian offer some sound and
constructive advice certainly worthy of notice.  And as to Katharine Long, I
applaud her honesty and emotion in her recent post and am very happy she has
decided to enter this discussion instead of just standing on the side lines.

Whether in agreement or disagreement, it is important that we ALL add
whatever we can to forge a sound and lasting solution to the issues
presented by ferret farming and breeding.  MF is certainly and logically the
main focus simply based on their size and distribution, not on any perceived
vendetta or alliance.  Other breeders will certainly stand up and take
notice of what transpires in the near future, and trust me, they are not
going to be ignored either.  It is long overdue that an "ethical board" for
breeders be established without affiliation to any club, organization, or
commercial interests.  And perhaps as a *result* of this campaign, one will
be established... But first things first, the issues of Marshall's practices
and for one, the thousands upon thousands of ferrets with no names, who have
parented the lovely companions we have grown so fond of.

I simply cannot live in the bliss of my own ferret companionship while
forgetting all of those ferrets left behind and others yet to come.  As I
mentioned earlier, you DON'T have to agree with *every* issue presented,
just one.  One is all it takes to bring you to your feet and actively
support this campaign.  We do not need to think alike, talk alike, or dress
alike.  We only need to CARE alike.

FOR KODO AND ALL THE FERRETS WITH NO NAMES
best wishes,
alphachi

PS Personally, I am not affiliated or aligned with ANY ferret group,
organization, or club, and plan to remain that way.  They are all very
worthy groups and have done much to advance ferret issues.  I simply prefer
to remain unattached, not uninvolved.  Any interpretation of favoritism,
bias, or prejudice is wholly inaccurate and inappropriate.  As I stated
earlier I welcome support from all members of all different camps.  If you
decide to support this campaign for the ferrets, you do so as an individual.
This campaign needs to remain apolitical.