Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:06:40 -0500
I have a ferret, Gizmo, who is a very mellow fellow.  He's a 5 yr.  old
cinnamon who enjoys the company of his other two companions, Norman and Moe.
Anyway, I have noticed lately that the area around his weenie is black and
blue.  The discolored area is no bigger that a nickel.  Also, sometimes (not
often though) I notice that he has tiny scabs around his penis.  It almost
looks like he is rubbing his belly on something rough which is causing the
problem, however, my one ferret, Norm, rubs his belly on everything and
doesn't have any problems with discoloration or scabbing.  Norm was neutered
at a later age, so rubs his belly on everything (i.e. shoes, books, whatever
is on the floor) and quite frequently.  Gizzy, however, was neutered at an
early age since I bought him from a petstore and doesn't seem to rub his
belly on things nearly as often.  Has anyone seen this black and blue
coloration before with their ferrets, and should I be concerned?  Any input
would be appreciated.

     Melanie and the gang (Gizmo, Norman, and Moe)