From:
C & R Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 21:34:12 -0700
In light of recent events dealing with selected individuals who subscribe
to the FML, I no longer see any use for this form of media.  What should
be a wonderful and helpful tool for ferret owners and shelters across the
country has become a dumping ground for petty individuals who want nothing
more than to hurt others with their insults and narrow minded opinions.

A week ago, I wrote an article and this was not the first time this has
happened in the two plus years I have been subscribed, that has caused
some turmoil.  This article was not meant to and was actually directed
specifically towards shelters and gaining knowledge to help with a DEADLY
problem faced by Ferrets.  What came from this was a week of nasty, vulgar,
ignorant, rude, and just down right awful responses from individuals who
seem to have nothing better to do than flame and rip on legitimate ferret
parents out there.

During my time subscribed to the FML, I have read countless examples of
this and over the past year have refrained from posting for just that
reason.  But FAD became worth the risk of exposure to the harsh elements
of the FML.  I paid the price for it and after taking a couple of days
off from it, I have come to realize it is not worth it.  Because of these
people I was ready to call it quits with the shelter.  I deal with these
kind of individuals every time a ferret is abandoned.  Every excuse has
been heard.  I have read and been sent many explanations for this event.
And to be honest, I don't think any ferret shelter wants to hear excuses,
reasons, or explanations.  I would hope and pray to every god ever thought
of it I would never see another ferret left on my door step or forced to
inhabit the U.F.O. shelter.  This is not done for business reasons as some
have tried to state.  This is not done for selfish reasons.  I really had
to sit down and think about why I was doing this?  Why I started this?
What is the reason I have maxed out a credit card on vet bills?  Why my
wife and I cannot go on extended vacations?  Why my basement is no longer
my library and office, but a huge ferret playroom?  Why do we do this?
Because right after I wrote my first article for the Salt Lake Tribune on
Ferrets and began U.F.O.  a lady called me and asked me if I would take her
ferret.  I could not say no, because she said if I didn't she was going to
have to let it go.  This was in November, its cold here at that time of
year.  So I gave her my home address and within an hour she dropped off a
one year old silver mitt.  I did not have extra room for him.  I had two
ferrets at the time and I was not sure they would get along.  Well, this
ferret was a royal pain in the butt.  He kept escaping my cage and getting
into all kinds of mischief.  He stole anything and everything.  After about
two weeks another telephone call and two more arrived, then another one,
and another one, and another one.  Finally, I had to do something and we
began a shelter and finding homes for these critters and we have not been
able to stop since.  My ferret family has grown to eight and that is our
limit.

The point to this is, all of you out there who think and criticize shelter
operators and think that all of us are in it as a business or for the
money.  You need to start your own shelter for a while.  See what its like
and then, try to quit, especially when your the only one in town.  A town
of over a million people and two dozen pet stores.

I do not know if Bill will post this.  I know he tries his best to regulate
this open forum, but I also know he has to keep this in a positive mode.
All I can say is, I received dozens of personal emails over the past week
that have been very supportive and agree that the FML should do more to
get rid of the individuals who are just on this media to flame others.
Disagreement is fine, but some of the emails I received and others have
are just down right nasty and rude.

For all of you out there who I have helped over the years and for those of
you who have helped me.  Thank you for the opportunity to spread POSITIVE
FERRET PARENTING.  You may not believe this, but I do believe all animals
have a soul and when you become the parent of that animal, its soul is now
yours and its up to you to do with that as you wish.  If you don't believe
me look into your animals eyes and think about what you see, because that
is all the animal sees.

Take care
Rick and Cresdeen
United Ferret Organization
10584 S. 700 E  #310  (New Address)
Sandy, Utah 84070
(801) 572-6010

[Moderator's note: Yes, of course I will post your note.  Though it does
seem to gloss over all the help you've received over the past couple of
years due to the FML. ;-)

I've written to you directly to explain that I felt your recent post was
misunderstood.  The responses posted here seemed basically appropriate to
me, considering the misunderstanding, but of course, as is often the case
you may have received much nastier email privately.  I don't know that as
a fact, but there does seem to be a lot of that going around... sigh.  In
spite of it all though, I can't help but feel a bit of a "you're preaching
to the choir" response.  The FML's subscribers are here because we care
about ferrets, just as you do.  If you find the FML helpful it's a shame
to bail out due to some nasty email.  On the other hand, if you know longer
have the time or no longer find the FML useful, of course, no point in
staying on.

Either way, your input over the past couple of years (well over 70 posts)
and your tireless behind the scenes work is much appreciated -- certainly
by me, and I'm sure, by thousands of subscribers and their ferrets.  Take
care, and feel free to check in sometime.  BIG]