From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:18:35 -0400
>From:    Hey Hey Hey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: melatonin post
>Have been reading some on this list and some other places about the use of
>melatonin in ferrets.  I have an insulinomic ferret Noble who also has
>heart issues (CHF) And an adrenal boy ( the vet says to early to operate).
>Will melatonin help either of these guys.  What is it used for?  Is it
>used like rescurers remedy as a calming agent?

Melatonin is used to help control the symptoms of adrenal disease.  It is
not a cure.  Melatonin is a hormone that the body releases in response to
changes in the photoperiod.  So by giving extra Melatonin, basically, we
fool the ferrets body into thinking the photoperiod has shortened (like in
winter) and hair growth is stimulated.  From an article on the topic on my
adrenal/insulinoma web site... "Melatonin inhibits GnRH release,decreases
LH and FSH, and ultimately decreases the sex hormone concentrations.  "

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc