From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:59:34 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Melanie Hough <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: hairless belly
>Cassidy had a splenectomy around Thanksgiving and recovered wonderfully but
>his hair still hasn't completely grown back.  How long should this take?

Typically I give a maximum of twelve weeks for hair regrowth.  It can be
delayed until the next seasonal sheeding.  When I have a ferret who is not
regrowing their fur after this period of time, I start suspecting adrenal
disease.  The chewing may actually be grinding which I strongly associate
with stomach ulcers.

>From:    Michael & Shannon Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vaccinations for ferrets
>I have a question regarding vaccinations.  Because of our location it has
>been difficult in finding medical care for him and we haven't kept up with
>any kind of schedule.  He is about 14 weeks old now and in very good health

Give him one canine distemper vaccine now, one in a month then it is good
for a year.  Also have himvaccinated for rabies.  Older literature
(pre-1988) stated that feline distemper was a possible infectious disease.
Current information says that is not so and you only have to deal with
canine distemper and rabies.  The preference is not to use combination
vaccines (such as DHLPP) to reduce the risk of vaccine reaction.  Have your
vet check out "Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents" by Hillyer and Quesenberry
(Saunders).  It is an excellent resource.

>From:    Terri Beier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick ferret needs some advice
>Hello everyone.  I need some help.  My 8 month old male ferret, Fester, is
>very sick.  It started last Monday with a runny nose.  On Tuesday he was a
>little more sleepy than he usually is, but he was eating and his poop ...

I would consider an infectious agent or toxin as the primary two things I
would treat for.  Both require aggressive nursing care.  Especailly in the
young ferrets, they can take a while to recover.

>From:    Chris & Shelley Knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: question for breeders, shelter operators, and vets
>I just got back from picking up a baby ferret from a pet store this evening
>for my shelter.  The pet store called me because they were concerned...

I would put blindness on the list of possibilities along with some
neurologic abnormalities.  See what the vet says.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA