From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 09:32:17 -0500
From Dr. Bruce William's Helicobacter faq:
"The most commonly accepted treatment is a combination of amoxicillin at
10-20 mg/kg twice daily, metronidazole (Flagyl) at 30 mg/kg once daily, and
Pepto-Bismol (1/15th of a tablet once daily).  This "triple therapy" has
been shown to be effective in man, and to a large part effective in ferrets,
but must be continued for 4-6 weeks.  Unfortunately,ferrets CANT STAND the
taste of both Flagyl and Pepto-Bismol, and client compliance with therapy is
often a problem.

A recently published protocol for treating ferrets is a combination of
clarythromycin (Biaxin) at 50 mg/kg once daily, and amoxicillin at 35 mg/kg
once daily, or 20 mg/kg twice daily.  This therapy is only continued for two
weeks, and supposedly has great efficacy and causes minimal resistance in
the organisms."

I used the Biaxin/amoxy on my little girl Belle with good results.  It is
more expensive, but try to get your vet and pharmacist to give you the dry
ingredients and let you mix up as much as you need.  (The stuff only lasts a
couple weeks after mixing with water.) My $30 bottle of Biaxin has been used
to treat 3 ferrets and I still have 1/4 bottle left.  A bottle of Amoxy can
last a long time if mixed as needed.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
Serving Northeast Ohio