From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:35:49 -0400
You asked, "Do ferrets cry?"  Well, I can't really answer that question
for you, but I wouldn't rule it out.  You will probably get lots of
cry.  Well, I've got news for them.  I know for a fact that dogs can cry.
How do I know that?  Because as a child we had one that did.  He just
loved going to the lake with my dad and brother.  He would see them
hitching up the boat and would get so excited that he would just run
around in circles.  The problem was that they could never get him out of
the water when it came time to leave.  They would have to act like they
were leaving him to get him to come out of the water.  Needless to say,
it made fishing difficult with a dog splashing around scaring off all the
fish.  So they eventually decided he was just too much trouble.  When
they just tried leaving him behind, he would try to follow them, so they
would bring him in the house first.  He could still see them hitching up
the boat through the window.  So he knew what they were up to.  He would
just sit and howl and literally cry.  Tears would be streaming down the
dog's face.  My mom would beg them to take him along.  She said she
couldn't stand to see a dog cry.

This particular dog was a german shepherd.  I have since heard a story,
(from a friend), about a labrador retriever that would cry, and someone
else told me a story about some other breed, (can't remember which breed
though), that would also cry.  I get the impression that it's mainly the
smarter ones, and ferrets are pretty smart.  I've also read somewhere
that elephants can cry.  I strongly suspect that some of the primates
can cry, but I've never read anything about that.  I wouldn't rule out
crying, but I also wouldn't rule out an eye infection of some sort.  Is
it both eyes?

Holly,
Tigger, Pooh & Sprite