Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:24:21 -0600
Just over two weeks ago I became an official Foster Mom for the first time
in my life.  The other 13 years were more like, Honourary Foster Mom.  I
didn't know if I would actually feel any differently than I did before the
actual title but now that I am here, I can say it does... at least a
little.

Being a foster parent really doesn't change much except that your vet bills
get paid by the Shelter, the food and litter are supplied, you are made
more accountable for your actions, and medical decisions have to be agreed
upon as a group.

When Squeegie came into my life just over two weeks ago, I didn't think
that I would fall for him as fast as I did.  But fall I did, and so did my
husband.  Because of his noticeable hairloss near the back end, he was
given a vet check that determined that exploratory surgery was required
to check out his adrenal glands.  The vet found that Squeegie was full of
tumors instead, as well as internal bleeding.  In a rare circumstance, the
vet could not get a hold of those who could make a final decision.  The
decision fell to me.

In an instant, I was asked to make a life or death decision that would
affect me the rest of my life.  And although the findings of the
exploratory sounded devastating, I chose to give Squeegie time.  And
although it would mean that I would have to be accountable for my decision,
I felt that I had the best reason of all for making the one I did: Squeegie
was not ready to let go of life just yet.

That night, as I drove home knowing that he was alive, but that he would
not be home with me, I heard a song on the radio that said more to me than
anything I could think of ...

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
 This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
 This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine
 Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine............"

And that little light was Squeegie.  I had to let him shine.

In the short period of time that I had to get to know him, I found a ferret
that was full of spunk and eager to define his ferrethood upon my other
ferrets as well as my cats.  It was exciting to see him exerting himself
in a dominant role, even defeating our alpha male.  It was fascinating to
watch as he found the quick routes to get up onto the bed so that he could
clean my ears and face.  And no words can describe the first night when he
climbed into my lap to curl up to sleep.  It seemed so unfair that in such
a short period of time, Squeegie got a taste of real life, only to have it
taken from him.  To look into his eyes, I can see I did not make the wrong
choice - even if it meant that his life lasted only a week more.

Being a Foster Mom means taking the good with the bad and making the most
out of each day no matter what cards are dealt.  And if it were to come
that a ferret had only a day of life left in him, he would still find a
home with me.  I know in my heart I would do it again, and again.  Because
to me, none of them are hopeless.

Love is not conditional.  And that is what Squeegie needs from me, and that
is what he will get until the day comes when he can no longer receive it.
And when that day comes my little light will go to the rainbow bridge that
is deep within my heart.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur plus Squeegie