From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:35:49 -0500
Bob's post today showing that disease incidences HAVE increased,
specifically for adrenal and insulinoma, was well done.  I do have a
couple related questions and comments.

Nothing to do with the current discussion: One disease indirectly
referred to in some of the older texts is aplastic anemia.  One book
(Harding's Ferret Facts and Fancies) mentions that life spans for females
is often shorter than males, and in another part of the book, says that
some believe females must be bred regularly.  I was somewhat surprised
that these two things were not put together.

Relevant to the current discussion: It seems to me that in references
from the 1980s and early 90s, insulinoma was considered the most common
neoplasm in ferrets.  Yet from my personal experiences and observations
today, adrenal disease seems the most common by far.  Have others seen
this?  If so, has insulinoma decreased, adrenal increased, or have both
increased but adrenal faster?

On the discussion of disease frequencies and genetics, yes the frequency
of genetic-based diseases changes slowly in a population.  However, there
could be genetic related predispositions that have only recently been
triggered by changes in the ferrets' life style and environment.
Personally, I agree with Bob that adrenal and insulinoma are more
life-style/environment based than genetic.  But it is also the case that
some other diseases and an overall life expectancy decrease may be
occurring for some of the inbred fancy colors.

>In the last few years, adrenal disease and insulinoma rates have been
>reported on the increase in other countries, including Britain, Denmark,
>the Netherlands, German, Australia, New Zealand, and France.  In most of
>these countries, the difference isn't in housing, lighting conditions,
>neutering, or even genetic bottlenecks.  It is diet.  The late onset
>of adrenal disease and insulinoma mirrors the increase in use of an ad
>libitum, kibbled diet.

I'd like to see evidence that people in these countries are not also
neutering their ferrets and bringing them indoors with more light
exposure.

By the way, it recently occurred to me that bringing ferrets indoors not
only changes their light exposure, but also minimizes seasonal changes in
temperature.  I wonder if this might factor into anything??

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH