From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:15:40 -0500
Several people have questioned if historical records are accurate enough
to decide that adrenal and insulinoma were rare until recent times.

I'm going to agree with Bob on this one.

Yes it is true (and APPALLING) that many vets even today do not recognize
the symptoms of adrenal disease.  But they (and their owners) DO see the
hair loss, even if it is attributed to mite or fleas or even just old
age.  Dogs, cats and other domestic animals do not show the same hair
loss patterns, so it IS something notable.  If it were common, it would
be noted.

Even the Fox and Chuck Morton book written in 1985 describes NOTHING that
would remotely sound like any of the symptoms of adrenal disease (or
insulinoma for that matter).  They say the typical life span is 8-11
years.  (Sidenote: the Mortons recommended an ad lib kibbled diet.)

Signs of insulinoma are often far more subtle: slowing down, sleeping
more, etc.  Seizures usually only occur in advanced cases, and it is
possible that in the "olden days", animals were less likely to survive
long enough to reach that stage.  Or it was simply attributed to senility
and old age.

While is it possible that some cases of adrenal and insulinoma occurred
back then, it just doesn't seem likely they happened anywhere near as
frequently as today without being remarked upon.

So SOMETHING (or things) have happened to turn these into common
diseases.  Bob says it's the ad lib kibbled diet.  While I agree that
may be a factor, I don't think he has satisfactorily ruled out lighting
and neutering as major effects, and other possible contributing factors.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH