From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 1996 14:33:09 -0500
To Anna G:

You gave me an opportunity to get on the soap box.....IMO - ferret shows can
be dangerous places for ferrets.

Some of obvious diseases and illnesses can be checked and screened for,
but the ECE virus lingers in the system for some time - healthy-looking
ferrets with no active symptoms can be carriers and infect naive ferrets
indirectly - that means, you can handle a ferret carrying ECE, and then
pass ECE on to your ferret when you handle it.  It can be carried on your
hands, your clothes, your shoes, etc.  Your ferret does not have to come
in direct contact with a ferret that has had it in order to be infected.

I'm not saying don't go - you can find all sorts of ferret paraphanilia
you will never find in retail stores - just leave your ferrets home.

Not all ferrets at all shows will come down with something, but, do you
want to risk it with *your* fuzzies?

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY