From:
KiSta Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:21:42 -0500
Hello,

I just got word from the Upper Township Animal Control that Rollen Mason,
of TJ's Ferret Haven in Dennisville, NJ has died, leaving behind over 60
ferrets.

I cannot house 60 ferrets, and there are more than sixty, the animal
control officers simply stopped counting at that number.  They are
overwhelmed, and need help finding homes for these ferrets.

I can take perhaps 15-20, and that is with calling in favors.  I am going
to the facility tomorrow, and will most likely pick up the whole males and
any females in heat, since they won't have much of a chance otherwise, and
I'd hate for any of the girls to succumb to aplastic anemia.  I think
Rollen also bred ferrets, so I am pretty sure there are some whole ones.
I'm not sure though.  I really don't know much, as the lady at the shelter
doesn't have the slightest idea how to even sex them.

Anyhow, I've also contacted Yvonne DeCarlo and she's contacting Anne Ryan,
so they're aware and going to be involved too, if you're in the northern
part of the state, maybe you could work with them to coordinate transport.
If you would like to help, please CALL ME.  I won't be online much with
going down to pick these guys up tomorrow, and the holiday.  You can reach
me at 609-978-5899, or 609-978-8588.

Thanks in advance, and happy holidays,

Kim Rushing
www.kistaferret.com

[Moderator's note: Yvonne called me and gave me more details.  She said
the ferrets are all together in dog cages and many are fighting, especially
the whole males.  The ferrets are at the Palmero Township Animal Shelter
(609-390-7946).

I suggest calling the Palmero Shelter ONLY if you can offer immediate help.
They are trying to cope with the situation, but are accustomed to dealing
with dogs and cats and know very little about ferrets.  BIG]