From:
Deba Brezden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 03:24:52 -0700
Hello Fertfolks :O{

We were compassionately struck by this post . . .

>From: Anonymous Poster
>Subject: Marshall's ferrets and pet stores
>Also,I work at Petco, Marshalls ferrets are recieved at 5-6 wks,not 4.
>The ferrets at my store recieve nothing but the best care! <snip>
>... not all pet stores are bad places. You people make me feel like such a
>bad  guy, I do nothing but love all ferrets I come in contact with.

We feel it is a disgraceful and sad situation, that this individual (as
well as many others too no doubt!) have been placed in the path of such
obviously, ill-targeted and undeserved persecutions, simply by virtue of
their inclusion into a particular 'classification' or 'group' within our
society.  We find such all encompassing labeling of individuals to be an
extraordinarily ignorant and hurtful practice, one which sadly history has
demonstrated to be continually, errant, inappropriate, unproductive, and
which is clearly, undeniably, the very root of prejudice.  As we have stated
in other posts to this forum, we do believe there is a fair share of both
good and bad, in and concerning absolutely everything/everyone in this
world, period.  BUT to assume of any one thing 'only' good or bad
exclusively, is entirely inappropriate, unsupportable, and utter denial.

As concerns all aspects of Ferrets, there's most definetly, good and bad
present also.  Both exisit, within Peoples,Pet-Stores,Shelters,Breeders,
Organizations,Veterinary Professionals,Advocates,Politicians,Businesses, et
al.  And so it is accepted, we believe our energy is best spent when focused
on what we ourselves 'can do' and 'will do' which supports the good itself,
and which serves to identify issues of concern to ferrets themselves, not
issues of human sensibilities, rather than focusing on selecting 'anyone' to
accuse for the existence of the bad itself.  We'll accomplish far more for
ferretkind, and do so more quickly, if we could only learn to 'combine' our
individual good, while we 'overlook' our individual bad.

I feel obliged by my heart in this, to express my disappointment and my
sympathy to the above poster, that ever such grievous burden had been laid
upon your soul.  We encourage you to place little store in any such
condemnations levied against you, and we hope and pray that you shall, both
continue to enjoy ferret love yourself, and continue and increase your
participation in activities which promote ferretkind to the world.

We MUST also however point out here, there is an obvious need according to
your post as well, for the Marshall Farms operation to be 'educated' as
concerns the fact that *even at 5-6 weeks* (as stated in post) this is
entirely inappropriate.  Ferrets should not be either altered nor away from
the mother prior 8-10 weeks, period.  This constitutes no less than animal
abuse in our opinion, and according to the legal definition also, and as
such is a definite issue which requires and deserves discussion and
accountability, and we think demands immediate ammendmant as well.  If, as
has been stated, Marshall Farms does monitor this list, then one thing is
certainly apparent, they have been made aware of the facts now.  There is an
old saying; "actions speak louder than words", and so too in this case will
Marshall Farms actions speak for them.  Whether they ever choose to utilize
this forum to communicate with their customers, and to address these
important issues, the 'voice' of their actions will still serve to answer
all questions definitively in the end.

This forum, and indeed others like it, since their inception a full decade
ago now, <happy 10th again eh!  ;O)> have proven to be one of the most
valuable resources available to the ferret community.  They offer us the
opportunity to network our abundant talents and capabilities so that maximum
effect and benefit can be achieved speedily and over great area.  The recent
work being done to diseminate the 1998 Compendium and to use this excellant
opportunity to educate the veterinary community and the government
infrastructure concerning ferrets, is a wonderful example of the sorts of
incredible accomplishments this forum can achieve.  A super big BRAVO from
us to everyone involved!  And a most tender ferret kiss, 'specialy fer
Sukie!  This is precisely the sort of 'action' we need to speak out on
behalf of ferrets ourselves, and is the kind which will and has effected
'permanent' 'longterm' and 'critical' changes for ferrets.

<And in case we never said it yet, fert kisses fer BIG too! Thanks;o)>

Concerning the 'pet-store' issue itself for example, we believe there's
several positive 'actions' which are and can be taken in response.  We've
noted several posts where fertfolks are doing their part to 'educate' a
petstore in their area, and we commend this practice and applaud their
efforts.  Indeed, we'd like to suggest that it is needed in a massive and
comprehensive degree, to encompass and educate the entire pet industry!  As
well, it seems to us, that many of the issues are similar in nature, to the
'rabies/health issues' in that they are in actuality 'regulatory' problems
at the heart, and so again education of the 'government' as to the various
'pet store issues' involved would seem a necessary response.  We'd also like
to suggest to "ALL" ferret loving pet-store employees and owners who read
this post, that perhaps if you were to 'refuse' to buy any kits under 8wks
of age, or at the least 'voice' your concerns to the supplier concerning the
issues of altering and shipping too young, then operations like Marshall
Farms might have more reason to change policy.  Since you are the
'recieving' party, your position carries both more burden and more weight.
Some of you may also be in a position to do more intensive P.R.  for ferrets
through various affiliations/associations you have within the'pet industry',
and enjoy an excellant avenue by which to share your knowledge of Marshall
Farms issues, and in store ferret care.

Simply put, if we all do whatever it is we can, we'll accomplish much!  And
we pray God's Grace and Mercy for you all as you do.

Ferris "I's best PR huh mom! When we goin ta da old folks again mom?!"
and his mom
Deba Brezden - Director, IFRIC Canada