From:
"Sena, Anthony" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 1995 10:42:00 PDT
Hello everyone!

I'm new to the FML.  I have only been getting it for about a week.  I have
two ferrets: a female, P.J. 5 yrs. and a male, Binky 6 yrs.  The female is
very strong.  No health problems ever.  The male is another story.  About a
year ago he was diagnosed with insulinoma.  I got him through that with
medication and at this point he no longer exhibits symptoms of low blood
sugar.  He also had a urinary tract blockage which is no longer a problem
since I modified his diet.

Recently, I noticed he was losing hair, especially on the tail and
shoulders.  After reading the FML, I had a feeling it was hyperestrogenism
due to Cushing's disease.  My vet, who is the best vet I have ever dealt
with, believes this to be the case as well.  The recommended course of
action is a sonogram to confirm a growth on the adrenal gland, and possibly
surgery.

My question is this.  Considering my ferret's age, is surgery too risky?
What are his chances of recovery?  Will surgery prolong his life as
compared to letting the disease run its course?

I would appreciate anyones opinion or comments on this including those of
you who have experienced Cushing's disease first hand and Doctor Bruce
Williams.  The FML rules.   Thanks again!