From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:31:34 -0400
Judy Moon wrote:
>Just as long as people keep buying (rescuing) ferrets from the pet stores,
>the money keeps pouring into the coffers of the mass producers.  And said
>mass producers could care less about the FML and all the complaints that
>are passed around, while they are enjoying the benefits of said money.
>Vicious circle but there it is!  One we have created ourselves by buying
>ferrets produced just for sale.

We had one local breeder in this area.  (Please note the past tense.  They
are now distributing to local stores, but no longer breeding their own
ferrets.)  From what I saw, I would sooner support a pet store any day.
Here it was the lesser of two evils.  Not all smaller breeders are good
places for ferrets, either.

I realize I am setting myself up for flames on this one, and I realize
there are a lot of bad, ignorant pet stores who don't take proper care of
their animals or educate their customers, but there are also some very good
ones who do the best that can be done.  Yes, I have pet store ferrets.  You
know what?  I'd do the same again knowing what I know now.

Of the five ferrets that actually are mine (not my roommate's), the last
three are not from Marshall's.  They are from two smaller breeders.  Guess
who they sell to?  Yep, pet stores.  I know what I don't like about
Marshall Farms, but how do I know the others are any better?  I hope they
are.

I, for one, do not want to support the back yard breeders I've heard horror
stories about.  I don't want to support Marshall Farms either.  I don't
think pet stores are evil by definition, and rather than overturn the
existing system you attack, I'd rather improve it and work on local, state,
and even national regulations on the care of all animals, including
ferrets.

-Caity Martin
(donning her asbestos suit)

Caitlyn M. Martin                                     [log in to unmask]
http://www.caitys-world.com

"Good grief, man!  It's as simple as Einstein's special
theory of relativity!"
         - Dr. Who, as portrayed by Jon Pertwee