From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:23:47 -0400
At the AFA site http://www.ferret.org/ we've added pictures to the color
pattern pages.  More will be added soon including a way to email pictures
for color evaluation by an AFA judge - like me.  Other people are doing
other things on the AFA pages as well.

>From:    Dave Les <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Murder Capitol, Michigan Update
>Michigan did have a rabid ferret in 1985 in Ontonagon county that involved
>human bite exposure.

Does anyone have good information on this?

>The state of Michigan has chosen to adopt the national recommendations
>because everything we know about rabies in our state implies that these
>recommendations are appropriate for Michigan.

I believe this is not exactly correct.  There is no NATIONAL policy.  There
is the policy that was put into effect in a national board of state
epidemiologists which was unfortunately headed by the Suzanne Jenkins I've
been writing about.  With her it is a personal vendetta with no known
source.  It is possible that some of her ire comes from how ferret folks
communicate with her.  Certain zealous behavior causes people to not want to
deal with ferrets.  I know personally that this is the case with some
veterinarians.

>In contrast to dogs and cats, the period between onset of viral shedding and
>development of recognizable signs has not been established for ferrets.

The letter was accurate until here.  There were claims of "worldwide" test
on dogs and cats.  There ARE worldwide studies on ferrets - the US is
lagging.

>We do know that ferrets are in the same family as skunks and that these
>animals have been known to shed virus for almost two weeks prior to onset
>of signs of rabies.

Insignificant really.

>You may wish to consult with the National Association of State Public
>Health Veterinarians

Suzanne Jenkin's group.  She is not currently head of it.

>Any assistance that you can provide to help educate ferret owners and those
>contemplating ferret ownership, and to support the collection of sound
>scientific information on which to base public health decisions will be
>appreciated.

This is where WE come in.  We need to approach these people rationally.  No
screaming about them being murders.  We have the evidence on our side.  Use
that.  No overzealous exaggerations; if we "lie" at all than everything we
say is tainted.

This was actually a well written letter.  He shows concern for what he
should.  Whether any of us like it or not we do have to accept that human
lives are more important than anything else.  We need to prove that humans
are not at risk.  THEN we can procede.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/