Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2014 07:44:07 -0400
OK - I'll be the devil's advocate here.....just because the story about
the Hawaiian ferrets is sorta cute, why are most of us encouraging the
zoo there to keep these little ones on display? Education, my butt!
These are pets, ripped from a possible home and sent to live in an
unloving environment! Wood shavings, no hammocks - and what about
proper diet? What about the heat? Will they be in a glassed-in
enclosure or outside? And will they be handled as pets? It's like
being sent back to the pet store without any hope of ever getting out
or going to a forever, loving home!

Maybe we should be demanding these ferrets - domesticated pets - be
sent to a shelter so they can live a normal,happy life by finding a
real home? Afterall, in a couple of years when they might no longer be
"cute" or active enough for zoo display, some shelter will end up with
these maladjusted ferrets to rehabilitate anyway. Let them have their
lives now!

I'd like to hear some expert thoughts on this side of the issue.