From:
Tracy Navratil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:37:16 -0500
Judy wrote:
>Subject: 2 Ferrets Rescued in Times Square
>I guess each person has to evalute this situation for themselves and prepare
>accordingly.  We keep several flight kennels about the house and have gone
>over plans to evacute the house under several different scenarios.  However,
>as for me leaving without my animals - ain't gonna happen.  I will not be
>forced to leave without my "kids" and Nobody can make me.  As for keeping
>me away -- there isn't a roadblock made that will keep me from getting my
>kids......

Judy, my thoughts exactly!

I feel that when it comes to disasters, I would do everything humanly
possible to rescue my fuzzies first.  There is nothing in my house that I
could never live without...I have heard of people trying to take their
safe's or family heirlooms first before taking their fuzzies or other pets
out of a burning house, etc.  To me, there is no reasoning in that!  I have
some family heirlooms, and important documents, photographs, etc.  that I
would never want to perish, BUT I would never even think twice about them
because the safety of my family and fuzzies comes first!!!

During the Florida fires, I have heard so many horror stories of people
leaving their pets behind in their homes while the owners tried to flee for
safety.  There was one story in particular about a family who fled and left
their dogs and cats in the house while the fires consumed the home.  The
fireman found the group of pets huddled together by the back door of the
home...all perished.  The story mentioned that the fireman cried over the
scene.  I would too.  Now, I understand that there just may be circumstances
that would not allow for a person to protect their pets as they would like
to and understand that, but if they could have taken a split second to open
a door or something, did they even try to locate their pets?

Well, i'm not trying to start an argument, and realize there are
consequences beyond our control.  I just can't believe some of the stories
I have heard (I use to work for an insurance company and heard some awful
ones) of some selfish people....aren't our pets part of our family?  Even
though my fuzzies are in a cage part of the time....I would stop at nothing
until I knew they were safe!  Sorry - just my .02 cents worth.Tracy