From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:07:44 -0800
The news is good!  Ten of you responded by phone or e-mail, and the Philly
ferret who was in danger of becoming dog bait has found a home with
Samantha Smith.  I think she is probably talking to Dottie, the woman who
contacted me, at this very moment, and she has said she will post to let
you all know more after she has the ferret.

Dottie had called me a few weeks ago to find the ferret a home when she
learned his owner, a 12 yo boy, said he had become too busy for him.
Judging from my conversation with the boy at the time, I think it may have
been his parents who were the problem.  Although the boy wasn't home much
anymore, he still let the ferret run around his room and sleep with him at
night.  Lately Dottie, who rescues dogs, noticed too much pit bull activity
around that house and in their circle of friends.  Since she hadn't heard
from me, she figured she'd better give me a call.  Sure enough, I hadn't
found anyone, and I had become so involved in teaching a new course,
getting my house ready to sell, and handling the donations for the NJ
Xmas rescue that I hadn't followed up with either Dottie or the FML.

I called the boy and learned that he had given the ferret to a friend he
calls his brother.  Dottie likes this family even less and says they own
pit bulls.  The boy assured me the ferret was happy being allowed to run
free around the house.  Not that I have anything against free roaming
ferret households, but this didn't sound like a ferret household.  This
morning Dottie practically cornered the boy and convinced him to bring
her the ferret.

The poor little guy is skin and bones.  We wonder if he was ever fed in
his new home.  Although he was shaking like a leaf, Dottie said he was
very friendly.  She has him in a cat cage and is feeding him tiny amounts
of food in case he is truly starving.  I left a series of messages for
Samantha as all of this progressed, and she is preparing to drive the two
hours to pick him up asap.  I suggested she have cheap cat food and
NutriCal on hand, and she will be taking him to her vet, whom she likes
very much.

Many, many thanks to everyone who offered to help, even from hours and
hours away.  I am absolutely not able to bring a new ferret into my house
right now, and I was feeling very guilty for not following up and very
concerned about how to handle this.  As always, the people of the FML
have come through when they are really needed.

Blessings
Judith