Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 10:18:35 -0600
When Chook was off of his food and refused to eat at home but ate well when
he was under care by the vet, I jokingly said that it was Munchausen By
Proxy.  The vet looked at me very seriously, and then asked, "Well, is it?"
"If it were, would I be suggesting to you?", came my reply.

This woman that I am babysitting the four ferrets for, does not have this
condition.  Her true problem lies in the fact that she just does not
comprehend what it takes to look after another life.  I did not make it
clear in my original post but this woman is learning disabled, as I was
able to ascertain yesterday, when she was here on her weekly visit.  That
is mainly the reason I find this situation so difficult.  But by taking my
time in explaining the situation carefully, and letting her know that
animals in general, do not have to be put to sleep if they get the proper
care in the first place, or are allowed to get the necessary medical
attention they deserve when they need it, they can live long happy lives.
I am trying to get across the idea that it is wonderful to have pets, but
you must be responsible to them fully.

Yesterday, I spoke to her about the possibility that the one she
surrendered may get depressed over the loss of his female buddy.  She grew
defensive again but I quickly explained that we have to look at what is
best for the surrendered ferret, as well as the cage mate.  She said that
she would only surrender the cage mate if she got sick and lost weight.  I
tried to explain to her that waiting for sickness to develop may be a bad
way to go and may put the life of the ferret into jeopardy.  Sickness is
something we try to prevent, not allow to happen.  She is adamant that she
can provide the food, vet check ups, and the other things the ferrets need
to survive.

Again, we are dealing with a woman who just does not know any better when
it comes to ferret care.  It will be a long road, but I am willing to teach
her what I can in order that at least the two younger ferrets will have a
chance.  She is now looking at pet insurance for the other three.  I think
she will be in shock once she hears that it is not cheap, at least that is
what I understand about it up here in Canada.

I had once investigated it myself for my bunch and it turned out to be
close to $250 a year for each of my furry friends... for me that is $2500 a
year for the ferrets alone.  I have yet to spend that amount of money on
any single one for medical services rendered.  (Knock on wood.) I feel it
is better to save the money I can and use it directly towards the care they
need when they need it.  Even Spaz's surgeries to date have not reached
half of this amount.

In the meantime, I have made her up a list of foods she should pick up,
including some chicken baby food and Nutrical.  She is having a hard time
trying to figure out how she will be able to afford the food... *sigh*

Then she talked about adopting two more ferrets from the ferret society
whom I volunteer for... I explained that she needs to concentrate on the
ones she has for the time being.

This will be a long road...

betty and her blur o'fur