From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:15:43 -0400
Siani
Most of what you suggest for an article for the Toronto paper sounds great,
but I would recommend against a discussion of the trauma of babyhood at
a ferret mill.  While early weaning, altering and shipping may have an
effect on long term health, I don't believe we have evidence of behavioral
problems.  After all, Marshall Farms ferrets are generally considered to be
very docile.

More important to mention would be the need for socializing and training
from a young age, again just as with any pet.

You may also want to mention that statistics show that ferrets are far less
likely to cause severe injuries than dogs or cats, and reassure people that
rabies is extremely rare in ferrets.

I hope the paper will print your article.  It is extremely important to
provide accurate information to counterbalance the negative press sure to
result from such an incident.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin, OH

Help support the Ferrets Unlimited/Raisin Retreat Ferret Shelter by visiting