Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 04:46:50 EST
Edward Lipionski wrote in yesterday's FML:

>A Mr. Chris Berry tentatively reported on the book, The Outcast of Redwall,
>authored by Brian Jaques, in a recent posting, and it read like an fairy
>tale relationship between ferret, badger, and lotsa mice, or so I
>understand.
>I am sorry to see such a book come to print, because of the falsity it
>promotes wherein ferrets take up residence with their family Mustelidae
>brother, the badger.  No, I have not read this book, but am passing on
>factual information to readers...

It is always a good idea to first read a book before attempting a criticism--
it prevents one looking like a fool.  I have read the wonderful tales of
Brian Jaques.  Yes, there are badgers, mice, dormice, voles, ferrets,
badgers, and even hedgehogs featured in these books.  However, the badgers
and the ferrets do not live in peace and harmony.  In fact, the badgers are
portrayed as the upholders of all things good and, sadly, the ferrets as the
colorful villians.

Unlike Mr. Lipinski, who has not read the books (and there are several in
the series), I have and heartily recommend them -- especially during this
holiday gift giving season.  They are wonderfully written books, tell
rousing adventures, and are a true delight for both children and adults.
The only drawback I can see is the portrayal of the ferrets as colorful
villians.  But you can't have everything.

F. Scott Giarrocco
Jopal Ferret Haven
Rehabilitation Shelter

"When you know not of what you speak, your mouth is best used for chewing."
 -- Uncle Snavely