From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 08:40:01 -0700
I got this just now from the ASPCA

>Subject: CA AB 363 Legalization of ferrets as pets
>
>The ASPCA is not taking a position on California Bill AB 363 which would
>permit domestic ferrets to be owned as pets.  The following is the ASPCA
>Policy Statement on "Ferrets".
>
>The European stoat (known in the U.S.  pet trade as "ferret" - the true
>ferret is the North American black footed ferret, an endangered species and
>is not involved) is a species that was domesticated in Europe between one
>and two thousand years ago and cannot be properly described as a wild
>animal.
>
>European stoats can be affectionate; however, there have been some very
>serious bite cases reported.  As such, it is NOT advisable to have a
>European stoat where there are infants or very small children in the
>household unless the animals are kept caged.  Otherwise, the decision to
>have one as a pet should be based on a family's persona l choice.

I wrote back -

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Not taking a position? So my personal choice to own one, makes me a
criminal, and this OK with the ASPCA?

>European stoats can be affectionate; however, there have been some
>very serious bite cases reported.

Dogs can be very affectionate as well, has there been any serious dog bites
reported in the U.S?  What is the ratio of serious dog attacks to serious
"stoat" attacks?  Most ferrets who attack are/were abused...as with any
animal.  Mine have never bitten a pillow, let alone a human.  I wish the
ASPCA would take a further look at the information available, and re-think
their position.

(This stuff makes me soooooo mad....can one of you on the FML with more
knowledge than I, write her back and tell her the facts? Her name is Alicia
Sullivan, her address:

Thanks,
CA DJ